Monday, May 4, 2015

Goldie's Birth Story

Here I am almost 8 months after my little guy was born and I realized I haven't written his birth story down anywhere. I am writing this for myself. So that I am able to look back and remember these special times without a fog in my memory.
On the morning of September 15th after a week of on and off contractions I went in for my weekly checkup. I knew that I wanted my doctor to sweep me to see if she could get things moving along and make my contractions start up for good. She said she would and also offered me a room in labor and delivery right then, but I wasn't quite ready to go in yet. I still needed to get a few things done at home and I wanted to get showered and enjoy a few more minutes with just one child. So she gave me a good sweep and I headed to Wal Mart to grab just a few more essential items that I knew I wouldn't have time to get after I had a new baby at home. That's where I noticed that the contractions were coming quite frequently. I ran into my mom who was also doing a little shopping and told her about my morning a little. I told her to be on call because I thought maybe today was the day. I headed home and started unloading the groceries from my car into my house. As I was carrying a gallon of milk into the house a contraction hit hard and I ended up dropping the gallon of milk in my garage and it broke all over the ground. I knew I needed to get it cleaned up so I just went and got the garden hose and sprayed it out. So much for that gallon of milk that I knew I would need in a few days. Oh well! Well I decided to give my kitchen a good clean and take a shower and get ready. I started timing the contractions and they seemed to be about 4-6 minutes apart. After I was all ready I decided it was time to get a move on things. So I headed out to my garage and broke out the treadmill. I walked and timed contractions for probably around an hour before I decided they were consistent enough to start to think about heading into the hospital. It was around noon or 12:30 in the afternoon now. I called Chase and told him it was time and that he probably better come home and we better head to the hospital. Then I called my mom and told her to come get Sage. My mom showed up while I was eating a bowl of cheerios. She thought I was crazy for eating, but I knew I could be in for a long afternoon of starving so even though it wasn't very appetizing I decided I had better eat something. She took Sage home with her. Sending Sage off in the car knowing our twosome would never be the same again was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I was choking back tears and trying to remind myself that she would love her brother and everything would be alright. When Chase got home he said he was hungry so we ran to Carls Jr. to grab him some lunch and then headed to the hospital. We got all checked in and settled and I had dilated to a 5 1/2 so they decided to keep me. I had decided I wanted to try to have a natural delivery with no medicine at all. So I figured the best way to do that would be to keep up and moving while I was laboring. So I would get up and walk for an hour and then I would have to meet my nurse back in my room to get monitored for a few minutes to make sure everything was going well and then I would get back up and walk again. Chase was a trooper because I know how boring walking around the halls probably was for him, but he didn't complain and he even played along with my games to keep myself preoccupied. Around 4:30 I was dilated to an 8 and I decided I couldn't walk anymore. So I tried to relax in the bed for a while, but the pain was getting pretty bad so I decided to try getting in the tub because I had heard that the warm water helps take the pain away. I got in the tub and after a few contractions I realized that the water wasn't helping me and it was just making me more uncomfortable. So I got out and back into bed. I was ready for this baby to be here so they called my doctor down to break my water. As soon as my water was broken the contractions started getting really intense, but I also knew that I would start dilating a lot faster and it would be time to push soon. When my doctor broke my water she told me that he was facing up instead of down like he was supposed to so I would need to rotate and change positions so that we could hopefully get him to turn. I had this same problem when I was delivering Sage and it was miserable because I couldn't feel my legs so I wasn't able to turn on my own and she never did end up flipping which made for a hard delivery process. This time around though I was very mobile and I actually ended up standing up and swaying a little and he turned his head after that. The contractions were pretty painful and I was trying to find ways to deal with them. The nurse and doctor told me that if I needed to push through the contractions that it would be good to get some practice pushes in. My doctor had to run to the main desk to call down to her office and cancel the rest of her appointments for the day and while she was gone I was standing and swaying and pushing through contractions and I knew it was time. I told the nurse that he was coming and she started getting nervous because she didn't know if she could deliver him while I was standing up so we got me laid back down in the bed and my doctor hurried in. She came over to my head to ask how I was doing and I just said "are we almost done?" She said that within 15 minutes she thought we would have a baby. I looked up at the clock and it was 5:44 and I thought, OK I can do this. I heard her say "she's complete" and I swear those two words were music to my ears! I started pushing too much too fast so that I could get the pain over with. My doctor had to tell me to slow down so that I wouldn't tear. It was hard to slow down because I wanted the pain to be gone, but at the same time I didn't want to have to deal with the pain of recovery from tearing. So I took it slow and after a couple more pushes Kent Goldie Jaros was born at 5:47 P.M. I looked up at the clock and was amazed that instead of it being 15 minutes it ended up only being 3 minutes after she said we were almost done.
The moment Goldie was born a huge rush of emotion came over me. I was so in love with him and so amazed with myself. It was a magical moment that we shared after his birth. I instantly felt a strong connection to my baby boy. Something that I think every second time mom wonders if she could possibly feel again.
Chase and I hadn't completely solidified a name for him. We had a few ideas going around in our heads, but as soon as he was born we both kind of looked at each other and he said, "Kent Goldie" and I nodded in agreement. Kent Goldie is Chase's grandpa's name. He is a great man and someone we want our son to look up to and try to be like. Chase has always been really close to his grandpa and so we thought it was fitting. We call him Goldie instead of Kent, because that's also what Chase's grandpa went by when he was younger and growing up.
Having a baby is such a whirlwind of emotions. I swear I fall in love with him more and more everyday when I look at his cute chubby cheeks and his sweet smile I don't know what we ever did without him.
 One of my last pregnant pics.
 Kent Goldie Jaros 
5:47 PM
7 Lbs. 6 Oz.
20 In.
 Our family of 4
 My babies meeting for the first time
   Baby Kent Goldie and big Kent Goldie meeting

No comments:

Post a Comment